We created this recipe because we love paw paw. It's so widely available here. It reminds us of the first time we visited Nigeria in our childhood and tasted this wonderfully delicious fruit for the very first time.
Paw Paw BBQ Sauce
1 ripe paw paw, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small red onion diced,
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1½ cups apple cider vinegar
¼ cup hot sauce (homemade or shop bought)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients into a large sauce pan.
2. Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes stirring regularly.
3. Remove and let it cool, then blend and set aside until required.
Coarsely minced beef (we recommend a mix of Chuck, Rib-eye and Topside) 140g per burger
Brioche buns or similar
Halloumi cheese (chunky, 50 g slice per burger)
Sliced fresh red onions (to taste)
Beef bacon/pork bacon (your preference) 1 rasher per burger
Crisp gem lettuce
Mayonnaise 1tbs per burger
1. Make beef patties by weighing 140g of mince and flattening mince balls into discs.
2. Place a frypan over medium-high heat. Brush burger patties with oil, then cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side.
3. Spoon one and a half teaspoons of the paw paw bbq sauce onto the burger patty and then flip burger over. Let burger cook further in the sauce. After about 2 minutes spoon sauce on the unsauced side of the patty and do the same to that side until patty is fully cooked (juices run clear).
4. Whilst the burger patty is cooking, in another frying pan you can fry the bacon and sliced halloumi cheese in a little oil until both are golden brown and slightly crisp.
You are now ready to assemble your masterpiece.
Assembly from bottom up:
Bun heel (with mayonnaise on)
Paw Paw beef patty
Bun crown (with mayonnaise on)